- Save up to 50% on energy efficiency improvements.*
- Get a fast return on your investment—often in less than two years.
- Enhance workplace productivity through streamlined operations.
The BGE Energy Solutions for Business program provides financial incentives and technical assistance to help commercial and industrial facilities maximize energy efficiency and reduce costs.
Prescriptive Program Change
As stated in the April 20th announcement, BGE had abundant program participation in 2015 which allocated all of the funding for BGE's prescriptive applications. As a result, in February 2016, BGE filed with the Maryland Public Service Commission (PSC) to increase the prescriptive 3-year budget. BGE attended the PSC hearings in early May 2016, and reiterated the urgency of this issue. BGE currently awaits the PSC’s decision. Due to vital program updates needed, new prescriptive applications will no longer be accepted as of May 20, 2016, with the exception of already completed applications (see more details below in the New and Existing Applications section).
Prescriptive applications include Retrofit Lighting, New Construction Performance Lighting, Unitary HVAC, Variable Frequency Drives, Chillers, Geothermal, Kitchen, Refrigeration, Appliance and Plug Load Equipment.
New and Existing Applications
As of May 26, 2016, no new prescriptive applications for uncompleted projects will be accepted.
As a reminder, as of April 20, 2016, no prescriptive applications (new or existing), regardless of status, are being paid until additional funding is approved.
BGE will accept prescriptive applications for projects completed before April 20, 2016 with total incentives for less than $5,000 until June 3, 2016. This refers to projects completed before April 20, 2016 not needing pre-approval, but have yet to be submitted. After June 3, 2016, the aforementioned applications will no longer be eligible for prescriptive incentives.
BGE has put all existing applications, regardless of status, on a waitlist:
- Prescriptive applications already submitted and are awaiting pre-approval have been placed on a separate reservation list in "Application Received – On Hold" status. Once additional funding is available, applications will be processed in the order in which they were received.
- Previously pre-approved applications can finish installing their approved equipment and send BGE the completion documents for final review. They will be reviewed and upon approval put in "Final Project Approval Complete – Payment On Hold" status. Once additional funding is available, these applications will be processed in the order in which they were received.
- Applications under $5,000 in incentives completed and submitted prior to April 20 will be reviewed and upon approval put in "Final Project Approval Complete – Payment On Hold" status. Once additional funding is available, these applications will be processed in the order in which they were received.
Payment of an incentive for existing prescriptive applications, regardless of status, is on-hold until additional funding is secured.* A notification will be sent when additional funding is approved and program updates are ready.
*Applications that have already received a payment approval letter, indicating that a check will be sent in 6-8 weeks, will not be affected. The check will still arrive in 6 to 8 weeks.
Other Program Applications
The above changes do not affect any of the other BGE Energy Solutions for Business Program applications. We will continue to process Custom, Comprehensive New Construction, Enhanced Unitary HVAC Maintenance and Multifamily applications as normal. In addition, the Small Business Energy Solutions, Instant Lighting Discounts, Building Tune-up, and Combined Heat and Power programs will not be affected.
Whether you're planning to retrofit inefficient equipment, start a new construction project, launch a major renovation, purchase new equipment or replace equipment at the end of its lifespan, BGE can offer your business:
- Technical services to help you analyze specific projects
- Financial incentives that cover up to 50% of the total cost for retrofit projects and up to 75% of the incremental cost for new construction projects*
- Flexibility to have the work done by your in-house staff, a contractor of your choice or a participating Service Provider
- Choice to have incentives paid to you or to your service provider
The Energy Solutions for Business program is open to all nonresidential customers in the BGE service territory (Rate Schedule G, GS, GL, P and T) regardless of your electricity and/or gas supplier. To determine your rate schedule, look under the "Electric Details" section of your BGE bill.
To optimize your building's existing energy performance without significant capital investments, check out our Building Tune-up Program.
For more ways to save on lighting, check out our Instant Lighting Discounts.
For additional information on the energy needs of your particular business, check out our Business Energy Advisor.
*The amount of financial incentives vary based on the scope of the project.